Monday, September 13, 2010

Some People Just Shouldn't Be Allowed To Wear Shirts

            I know freedom of speech is what our forefathers fought long and hard for. It is what essentially defines this glorious country, but seriously.... there are just some people who shouldn't be allowed to speak! Well, okay... REPHRASE: some people just shouldn't be allowed to make/wear shirts. 
Confused? Let me explain where this rant is coming from: Last night, I was talking with an old friend about a Guy I had met during the summer. Guy was a charming sweet-talker, so there was no reason why my BRO alert alarm would be going off. My friend encouraged me to add Guy as a friend on facebook; naturally, I had to facebook stalk Guy before adding. As I was browsing through his profile pictures, I came across this shirt. I sat there for a good 10 minutes in disgust. Needless to say, Guy and I are not facebook friends, and my BRO alarm is in the repair process.
You may wonder why I was so taken aback: “Bodblogger, haven’t you ever seen a fat joke t-shirt? Come on! It’s everywhere… it’s even on the Simpsons for crying out loud!” Of course, I have already heard all about the debacle with these “inappropriate t-shirts” (as my high school principal would call them). Moreover, when I was compiling my bloglist, I came across several posts about these “fat girl” shirts as well. But, I never thought I would see a shirt on someone I knew. It’s one of those shirts you see on the site, chuckle to yourself for a good minute; then, move on with your life. However, after seeing that shirt on someone I (kind of) knew, I couldn’t laugh and move on. Plainly put, I couldn’t stop thinking about that damn shirt all night.
So, here are a few of my pre-sleep lingering thoughts:
  1.   Most of the time, Bros (men) are the ones wearing the shirts because these shirts were designed for men. Girls, why would you ever let your man or man friends wear a shirt like this? Better yet, would you ever wear this shirt—it comes in girl sizes as well. The tiny feminist in me just wanted me to inform you: THIS SHIRT IS DOWN RIGHT MISOGYNISTIC! But, I’m sure you can see that for yourself.
  2. Shirts like this are designed not just to make “fat chicks” feel bad about themselves but all girls. You may be sitting thinking, “What are you talking about? I don’t feel bad at all. I’m skinny and hot.” Please. Sure, your bro-friends insist you are not the “fat chick,” and thus exempting from feeling bad.  But, you and I both know that the shirt made you just a tiny bit insecure about your weight and body for a split second—it’s okay to admit it because it does that to all girls. And, come on… This shirt sure as hell does not make you feel good about yourself in any way.
  3. Lastly…Bros, when you wear this shirt, does it make you feel… brotastic? Well, us girls just wanted to let you know that it makes you look like a misogynistic douche muncher.
Ahh much better, just like counting sheep! With that off my chest, I think I am going to sleep like a baby tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment